A properly installed and maintained roof will serve you well for many years and give you optimum value.Your home is your most expensive investment, and your roof is part of your home’s foundation. What happens when your roof is hit by severe storms, high winds, heavy rain, and natural disasters, your roof may show signs of damage. Inspect your roof’s exterior for water marks or possible leaks. If necessary, go to the attic and look around the interior walls for discolored wallpapers, peeling paint, flaking plaster, or stained wood. Any of these signs are true indicators of a damaged roof. Don’t take your roof for granted.
The problem, however, arises when it suffers a severe damage, and you want to avail the benefits of your damaged roof repair cover from the insurance company. Dealing with insurance claims, speaking to adjusters, and ensuring you get full reimbursement for all covered damage can be a cumbersome process. In fact, many homeowners are unsure about how to file a claim, the problem areas, the documentation they need, and what to expect. In this post, we look at the five steps you need to follow, when it comes to filing a roof insurance claim. Let’s take a look.
Follow this simple steps:
- Contact your roofer to inspect and analyze the damage. Find out what your policy covers. Some roof insurance policies only offer roof damage cover up to the depreciated value, regardless of age. Other policies, however, will cover the total cost of fixing or replacing the damaged area at the time of filing the claim, despite the age of your roof. Your insurance company will, in most cases, send an inspector to examine and verify your roof claim. If the roof damage derives from aging, wear, and tear, or some poor state, it will typically be rendered normal maintenance, and will not come under your policy cover. You should, therefore, get an overview of what your policy covers before you can proceed with the claim.
- Decide if you would like your roofer to represent you in the claims process. If you do decide to move forward in the claims process with your roofer, you will then need to contact your insurances’ claims department and let them know who you have arranged to represent your case.Proper information about the condition of your roof is another crucial step to smoothen the process of filing roof insurance claim. Homeowners are obliged to take “before” photos of the roof and exterior of the property.
- Next, explain the storm damage to the insurance company and the approximate date of loss. Inform them that your roofing contractor has already examined the property and confirmed the damage. Moreover, keep records of every repair, roof estimate, invoice, and bill you receive. Having all these documents and information assures you a smooth claim process. A claim number will be issued to you for you and your roofing contractor representative.
- An insurance adjuster will be scheduled to come and examine your property damage. Your roofer will be present at that time to thoroughly discuss the damage that occurred and guarantee that everything necessary to get your property back to its original condition is included. Often times, the insurance adjuster may inadvertently miss damage or not be able to take photos that accurately represent the damage.
- Finally, when you are ready to begin repairs, you will have to meet your deductible.
The most critical thing to remember is, if you suspect your roof has suffered damage, make sure to take immediate action. You need to call a licensed roofing contractor to help you file a roof claim before the disaster escalates beyond your insurance cover. .Look for a contractor with extensive experience in providing roof estimates for insurance claims. The contractor should also be reputable in assisting clients get good quality damaged roof repair services, as provided in their insurance policy. It is also recommended to hire a local contractor since they are always available anytime you call or need to sit and chat. Should you need professional assistance in filing a roof claim, All Weather Exteriors is just a phone call away. You can also fill out our contact form and get a no-obligation estimate. We help our clients on related issues all over Winnipeg
Roofs provide shelter from the heat, the rain, and the cold. Just as your roof protects you, your job is to protect your roof.