Most of the time, homeowners do not pay enough attention to their roofs until a roof-related problem occurs, especially leaking. The roof is installed mainly to protect you and your family from outside elements, and to make sure that you get the protection you need, you first need to make sure that your roof is in its best condition to perform its functions properly.
As much as you want your roof to last forever, just like almost everything else, there comes a point when you need to replace it because of the wear and tear brought about by several factors.
How do you know it’s time for a roof replacement? It is always best to have a regular roof inspection by roofing professionals. Before you consult with a local contractor, you can also look for these warning signs that tell you it may be time to get a new roof;
- Roof’s Age. Asphalt shingles can last for 20-25 years so when your roof is about this old, it’s retirement has come.
- Missing or Loose Shingles. Shingles know when it’s time to let go. When you see them starting to fall off your roof, it’s them telling you that they already need replacement.
- Leaking. When you experience leaking inside your house, it is a great indication of a roof problem which can get from worse to worst in no time. It is best to start checking for water damage in your attic so you can put a stop to it before it even causes damage to other parts of your home.
- Sunlight from the Attic. If you see light through your attic, that means the presence of spaces which can also serve as entry to moisture, water and other elements that you do not want in your home.
- Sagging Roof. A sagging roof only means that your roof is old and deteriorating. This can be caused by a number of reasons but whatever caused it, it demands immediate attention before your entire roof falls apart.
- Curled Shingles. Curling could occur in two ways. Cupping is when the shingles’ edges turn upward and clawing occurs when the edges or your shingle stay flat and the middle starts to rise. When you see your shingles curling, that is a great indication of weathering brought about by the age of your roof.
- Granules in gutters. Shingles lose granules as they get older. Aside from seeing granules in your gutter, dark areas on your roof is also an evidence that granules are falling off. When this happens, it means that shingles are not as functional anymore and that they need to be replaced.
- Missing or Damaged Flashing. Flashing are thin metal strips that are installed to secure susceptible points of leaking around the roof. Once they go missing or damaged, leaking will shortly follow.
- Cracked or Blistered Shingles. If your shingles are cracking and blistering, it is an indication that your shingles have reached the end of their lifespan and it’s time for installation of a new roof.
- Moss on Your Roof. The presence of moss also means presence of moisture which is not a good thing for your roof. Some might try brushing moss off from shingles but you need to be careful as granules may fall off during the process.
- Unusual High Energy Bills. This is caused by poor ventilation or damaged roof. Your energy bill going up is an indication that your roof is not performing well as it allows escape of energy through the attic.
Your roof also needs proper care and maintenance to be able to protect you and your family. You should heed the warning signs that your roof gives you. Their presence does not necessarily mean immediate replacement. In some instances, simple repair work would solve the problem.
Whatever the case, when you see any of these signs on your roof and you find yourself in need of an expert when it comes to Winnipeg roofing, All Weather Exteriors is a roofing contractor that can help with all your worries concerning your roof and home exteriors. Ignoring small signs may lead to bigger problems and anything that has something to do with your roof should be treated with great importance.
If you think it’s time that someone goes up to your roof to check its condition, doing it yourself is a bad idea and may cause more damage to both your roof and yourself. You can give us a call and our roofing masters will be more than happy to do an inspection for you.
Roof Replacement may cause panic to some because of the cost that goes with it. Good news is, All Weather Exteriors offers financing to help you with your budget while making sure that your roof continues to protect you and your family. You may contact us for a free estimate and our professional contractor will be more than happy to discuss with you how we can help.
Ignoring the problem may cause more damage in the future which means higher cost to resolve it. If you are a Winnipeg homeowner and your roof is telling you that it needs attention, now is the time to take action.