A leaking roof. This is probably one of, if not the worst nightmare of a homeowner when it comes to roof concerns. Imagine the inconvenience! And yes, everybody would agree that this is a matter to be addressed with great urgency. Why?
Roof leaks require immediate attention to avoid further destruction to other parts of your home structure, not to mention the several ways it can bring damage to your furniture. You don’t want marks resulting from leaks on your precious wooden table! And most importantly, leaks can cause harm to you and your family’s health as it will eventually result in mold growth and quicker than you think. No one wants any of that along with the many ways a leaking roof can cause you trouble.
What causes a roof leak?
A question you may be asking now. Although there are several factors that would lead to a leaking roof, let’s try to narrow them down to the following:
- Missing or Damaged Shingles. One or more of your shingles may have been misplaced or broken. Sadly, this is something that is bound to happen as your roof ages and as it is hit by extreme weather conditions.
- Damaged Flashing. Flashing are thin metal strips that are set in place to secure susceptible points of leaking around the roof. So a leak will automatically occur if these are not properly installed or if by chance they break.
- Clogged Gutters. This is most commonly caused by fallen leaves, especially during autumn. They find their way from the roof into your gutter and downspout, blocking the passage and disrupting proper drainage of rainwater.
- Skylights. While it is nice to have skylights, if these, along with flashing around them break or are poorly fitted, that’s a guaranteed cause of leaks later.
- Ice Dams. These are ice build-ups on the eaves of sloped roofs that are caused by poor ventilation and insulation.
- Loose Nails. As the nails used to fasten shingles and flashing become loose and rise, the moisture will find its way under the holes and into the inside of your home.
How to prevent roof leaks?
Prevention is better than cure, we’d all agree. So instead of waiting for signs of roof leaks and finding ways to fix it, how do we stop the problem before it starts in the first place?
- It is important to have your roof regularly inspected since what may cause a roof leak is not always visible and would often require a closer look. Hiring a roofing expert for the job is always smart. D.I.Y. inspections may cause you and your roof more harm than good.
- Replacement/Repair is immediately necessary in cases of broken or missing shingles, broken or misplaced flashing, missing or rising nails, damaged skylights and damaged gutters.
- Cleaning of your gutters is also imperative monthly, or as often as needed to make sure that fallen matters do not block your roof’s drainage system. If there are tall trees near your roof, you may want to consider trimming them. You can also count that our roofing experts will recommend which type of gutter will work best for your roof!
So there you have it, you now know a thing or two about roof leaks and how to prevent them. The knowledge of common causes of roof leaks reminds us that before a roof installation or roof replacement, we may want to think some things through, although in the end, we can only hope for the signs to show up later and not sooner.
The good news is, whatever may have caused a leak in your roof, our roofing experts will be able to help you fix it. And no, you don’t need to wait for the signs to show up because you can always request for FREE INSPECTION, making sure that roof leaks are prevented.
All Weather Exteriors is a team of professionals with expertise and eagerness to help you with all your roofing needs. Give us a call (204-510-2959) or drop us a line (firstname.lastname@example.org) and we’re happy to discuss with you the best solution to all your roof problems!